– Visitors have a unique experience in game viewing through is magnificent landscape; from the Great Rift Valley, kopjes, hot water springs to the beautiful mountains and hills.
– So much diversity in plant and wildlife e.g. elephants, buffalos, antelopes and endangered species like wild dogs.
– Home to the Greater Kudu (Tragelaphus strepsiceros) which can not be found in any other national park.
– Mtera and Kidatu dams (HEP source for the country).
Activities in the park
– Game viewing,
– Long and short wilderness walking safari,
– Bird watching,
– Historical and cultural sites e.g. Isimila,
– Picnics, etc.
When to visit?
Mid May-December, the dry season, and the best time to visit if you want to see predators and large mammals. During the peak of the dry season, elephants obtain water from dry sand rivers using their front feet and trunks. The remaining water falls along the Great Ruaha River are also important habitat for hippopotamus, fish and crocodiles
January –April, the wet season, is best for bird watching, lush scenery and wildflowers.
The male Greater kudu is most visible in June which is their breeding season.
Video by olebisk on YouTube